New Crane Wharf is rightly recognised as one of the finest examples of Victorian and Edwardian architecture in this part of London. For that reason, it is Grade 2* Listed and in a Conservation Zone, and there are very strict limits on what can be done to alter the appearance and fabric of the building.And of course, all flats and commercial units are held through Leases from the freehold owner - in this case the New Crane Wharf Freehold Limited (NCWFL).

If you're thinking of making structural or any other changes to your apartment or commercial unit, you must get permission from NCWFL, or confirmation from NCWFL that consent is not required..This applies even if you don't think the changes will be visible from outside your apartment or unit. Once you've done this, you will almost certainly need Listed Building Consent and Planning Permission from the London Borough of Tower Hamlets.

roundel on gate - welcome page

If you don't get outline permission from NCWFL and/or relevant Local Authority permissions, you may be required to undo
the changes.

It's worth speaking to Gavin Owen at KFH at the earliest stages of your planning, and before seeking Local Authority Permission, as he'll be able to advise on the process of seeking NCWFL's permission. If NCWFL does not object in principle, then you still need the relevant Local Authority permissions.

Please be aware that getting Local Authority Planning Permission does not mean the Freehold Company is obliged to give consent.

NCWFL owns the building and has to consider the effect of any changes on its long term interests, as well as the effect on all the other lessees and residents.

Therefore it is always best to discuss your plans with NCWFL before going to the trouble and expense of seeking Planning Permission.

© 2006-2022